Wednesday 11 April 2012

Mass Effect in reverse

I've recently started playing Mass Effect 1 on my laptop. This is my second time around starting this game, I gave up once before because of technical issues. Now (several years later) those issues have worked out, and I'm back again! Thing is, in those interim-years I've also finished Mass Effect 2 on my PS3, so I now know how the story goes. Well, it's still fun!

EA Games certainly has been prominent in the media lately. First, the received lots of letters from homophobes (in my words) who complain about the LGBT content in EA's games, like Mass Effect and Dragon Age. I think it's sad, that people are so adamant on fighting something that is just really love. What about using that energy towards something that REALLY needs attention? It means a lot to gay gamers (and there's plenty of us) to have the opportunity to play as a gay character. A great big THANK YOU to EA for answering those hateful letters with these words:

EA has not been pressured by any groups to include LGBT characters in our games. However, we have met with LGBT groups and sponsored industry forums to discuss content and harassment of players in online forums. In short, we do put options for same-sex relationships in our games; we don't tolerate hate speech on our forums.


So if you don't want to see Shepard gettin' it on with another dude, DON'T PLAY IT! Djiz! Gamesindustry has a great article on this, read here.

According to some, this is the worst thing to happen to video gaming. (I'm pretty sure this is a fake picture, though)

Unfortunately for EA this is not the only controversy for them these days. EA was also voted worst company to work in in America. Ouch.

Well, back to more important stuff: My second playthrough of ME1. The first time I chose a male Shepard. To switch things up on this playthrough I chose a female Shepard. So far I've played about 16 hours, and as of now I'm on the verge of the suicide mission. Who will die? I'm loving the scope of the story, and I'm hating the controls of the Mako - it's gotten stuck several times and I've had to reload. Turns out I'm just as bad driving on foreign planets as I am driving the streets of New York.

My paragon Jane Shepard
I can't wait to play Mass Effect 3. Hopefully I will be able to avoid finding out just what's so bad about the controversial ending. I'll just have to wait till August, when I move back to Norway, where my PS3 patiently awaits. I have sooo many games to catch up on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment